This quick and tasty vegan pasta recipe, is make with very few ingredients and can be on your table within 30 minutes! The recipe for Arrabbiata sauce originates from the region of Lazio in Italy, the name translates to “angry” because the sauce is meant to be “angry” spicy! However this recipe can be adjusted to your tolerance of heat.
Time taken: 30 minutes
- 500g Penne rigate
- 100ml Extra virgin oil
- 3 Garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2-4 tsp of dry chilli flakes (depending how spicy you want it)
- 2 (400g) tins of plum tomatoes (best quality you can find)
- Sea salt
- Plum tomatoes can be swapped for chopped tomatoes
- Flat parsley is also another common garnish for this recipe
- Heat olive oil in a medium sautépan over a low heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until soften. Next add your chilli flakes and sauté for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Next break the tomatoes apart with the back of a wooden spoon and continue to simmer for a additional 15-20 minutes, until slightly thickened (if any oil raises to the top slowly mix into the sauce). Season with salt and extra chilli flakes if needed.
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of generously salted water to the boil and cook the pasta until al dente.
- Drain and add the pasta to the arrabbiata sauce and leave to finish cooking for 1 minute in the sauce whilst slowly mixing.
- Serve fresh from the pan with torn fresh basil