Mixed Bean Chilli
This tasty, vegan and gluten free mixed bean chilli is perfect for a one-pot lunch or dinner, packed with fibre, iron and calcium. This delicious bean chilli recipe uses Mexican flavours which creates a bowl of warm, aromatic and smokey chilli.
Time taken: 15 minutes plus 45 minutes simmering
- Olive oil
- 1 Red onion, diced
- 1 Capsicum pepper, diced
- 3 Garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 ½ tbsp Paprika
- 2 tbsp Chipotle paste
- 1 tin (400g) Diced tomatoes
- 500ml Veg stock
- 1 tbsp Brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Dried oregano
- 3 (400g) tins Mixed beans, drained
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 Lime cut into 8 wedges to serve
- 1 handful of corriander, to garnish (optional)
- If chipotle paste is not available use another medium heat chilli paste.
- Serve with either tortilla wraps, tortilla chips, rice or a combination of 2.
In a medium sized pot over a medium-low heat sauté the onion and capsicum pepper for 5 minutes, until soften. Add the garlic and sauté for a further 2 minutes. Add cumin and paprika and once you can start to smell the spices stir though your chipotle paste then add your tomatoes, stock, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper.
Bring to the boil, add the beans then turn down the heat and simmer for 45 minutes. You may need to add a little water as you go if the chilli becomes too thick.
Season to taste and serve fresh from the pan with 2 lime wedges per person.