Puy Lentil Soup
This simple lentil soup recipe is hearty, vegan and gluten free! This tasty soup can be ready and on your table within 1 hour making it a great soup to keep in your arsenal of recipes.
Time taken: 30 minutes plus 25 minutes simmering
- 2 fl oz Extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 Onion, finely diced
- 2 Small carrots or 1 large, finely diced
- 2 Celery sticks, finely diced
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1.1 lbs Puy lentils, rinsed
- 4 1/5 fl oz Dry white wine
- 4 pints Vegetable stock, warm
- 8 2/5 fl oz Passata
- Flat parsley (Remove and finely chop the stalks)
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Sea salt
- Puy lentils can be replaced for any other good quality green lentils
- Passata can be swapped for 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- In a large saucepan over a medium heat sauté the onions, carrots and celery for 10 minutes, until soften. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Next add your lentils and wine, stirring slowly until the wine has evaporated. Next add your stock, passata, parsley stalks, chilli flakes and a pinch of salt and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally (adding more stock if necessary).
- Once the lentils are tender and the soup is dense remove from the heat and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of parsley and toasted bread.