Potato and Chickpea Curry
This Indian styled potato and chickpea curry is incredibly easy to make and is also vegan and gluten free! We use Indian spices to make this dish very flavoursome and aromatic. The potatoes and chickpeas make a fulfilling base making this curry a very desirable lunch or dinner choice.
Time taken: 15 minutes plus 45 minutes simmering
- Vegetable oil
- 2 Onions, finely sliced
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 oz Ginger, minced
- 1 3/4 lbs Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 (14oz) tins Chickpeas
- 1 tbsp Garam masala
- 2 tbsp Masala paste
- 1 (14oz) tin Chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/10 lbs Passata
- 17 3/5 fl oz Vegetable stock
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Coriander, optional to serve
- Spinach can be added a few minutes before the curry has finished simmering, which will add extra vitamins and irons.
- This recipe is also great to reheat as it gives the sauce extra time to marinade and soak into the potatoes
- In a large sautépan over a medium heat sauté the onions for 5 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and ginger and then sauté for a further minute. Add garam masala and once you can start to smell the spices add your potatoes and chickpeas and mix together.
- Next stir though your masala paste and then add your veg stock and tomatoes. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 45 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked. You may need to add a little water as you go if the curry becomes too thick.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve fresh from the pan with basmati rice or indian breads.